Difference between revisions of "User:Vishnucn/ GSoC :Malayala Grandham"
m (Vishnucn moved page User:GSoC : MalaaylaGrandham to User:Vishnucn/ GSoC :Malayala Grandham: revert)
|Line 137:||Line 137:|
'''SMC Wiki link of your proposal'''
'''SMC Wiki link of your proposal'''
Revision as of 19:15, 2 May 2013
Email Address: email@example.com
Blog URL: vishnucn.tumblr.com(empty)
Freenode IRC Nick: vishnucn
Your university and current education:
Third year BTech Computerscience and Engineering student at Govt. Model Engineering College , Thrikkakara (CUSAT)
Why do you want to work with the Swathanthra Malayalam Computing?
Swathanthra Malayalam Computing has been contributing to the development of Malayalam language and as a Malayalee I feel it as my responsibility to join this cause.
Do you have any past involvement with the Swathanthra Malayalam Computing or another open source project as a contributor?
No, I was not able to contribute to open source projects.
Did you participate with the past GSoC programs, if so which years, which organizations?
No, I have not participated in GSoC so far.
Do you have other obligations between May and August? Please note that we expect the Summer of Code to be a full time, 40 hour a week commitment
I will be able to contribute more than 40 hours during May- August period.
Will you continue contributing/ supporting the Swathanthra Malayalam Computing after the GSoC 2013 program, if yes, which area(s), you are interested in?
Yes, I got chance to know more about Swathanthra Malayalam Computing and their projects as part of preparing for GSoC. I wish to join the Tesseract based Malayalam OCR project team.
Why should we choose you over other applicants?
I consider myself with reasonable programming logic and knowledge of technologies used. I am well aware of the implementation details of the project. I am sure that I will be able to complete the project before deadline.
An overview of your proposal Malayalagrandham.com is an online Malayalam literature bibliography service, inspired from Malayalam Granthasooji of K M Govi, a documentation of all Malayalam books published before 1995.The current system provides only a minimal level search option of the book. The data is to be organized as MARC21 format. The proposed system is to have different types of user which may be broadly classified as
• Publishers can add their publication details to the database, use the QR code that links to malayalagrandham page. Database contains ISBN code of the books which can be used to identify the publisher.
• Users can search for books based on different fields. Search is to be optimum and should be able to be filtered based on different fields, like publisher, author, year of publication etc. Users can also add entries to the system after logging in.
• Each book will have a “found in library section” and this can be edited by librarians.Thus librarians can have their library contents updated and available through malayalagrandham
• The entries added by users must be monitored and should be verified by a panel before being published. This may be done by a class of privileged users
The must be an API that can be used by developers to access the malayalagrandham project. The API must be documented well so that it can be used by developers for both accessing data of malayalagrandham database and also to add entries to the database.
The system can also have provision for uploading or liking to copyright expired books. Wiki Grandhashala contains some of the copyright expired books in Malayalam, thus the Malayalamgrandham page can have references to those wiki pages or elsewhere.
The need you believe it fulfills
• Simple and attractive UI
• Enhanced search which eases the effort to find desired book based on various parameters
• QR code that links to malayalagrandham page of the book
• API for using these resources with proper Documentation
• Locate library that has a copy of the book
• ISBN based publisher identification
• Facility for consistent updation both by common users and by publishers
Any relevant experiences you have
I have been familiar with web development and usage of database as part my mini project at college
How do you plan to implement your proposal
I am planning to implement the project using Django framework
• To process MARC records, pymarc is to be used
• Python-Native QR Code generator, pyqrcode is to be used for QR code module
• Twitter Bootstrap for front end devlopment
A rough timeline for your progress with phases
Before May 3
Familiarize with existing system
Learn about the features to be implemented
May 3 to June 17
Formulate basic structure of the system
Identify all modules required for the system and familiarize them
Learn Django and MARC format in detail and the required libraries
Learn in detail about Database organization for the system.
June 17 to July 29
Develop the UI for the system and features for different user levels like common user, librarian, publisher, and administrators. Imlement searchoptions ,data entry options and verification options.
July 29 to August 18
Develop the API module. Provide data retrieval and addition methods. Make a proper documentation for the API
August 18 to September 10
Work with other modules like QR code generation, Adding copyright expired books, ISBN based publisher identification, etc
September 10 to September 23
Buffer period for unexpected delays
Prepare documentation for the complete system
Tell us about something you have created.
I had developed an ID card design and generation for Govt. Model Engineering College as a replacement for paid softwares thar college was formerly using. The college uses this system to sequentially print the ID cars of students by fetching data from database. I had also created a module for the data entry and report generation to the database by the students
Have you communicated with a potential mentor? If so, who?
Yes, I had communicated with the mentor of the project, Anivar Aravind.
SMC Wiki link of your proposal