Ideas for Google Summer of Code 2009
Information for Students
These ideas were contributed by our developers and users. They are sometimes vague or incomplete. If you wish to submit a proposal based on these ideas, you may wish to contact the developers and find out more about the particular suggestion you're looking at.
Being accepted as a Google Summer of Code student is quite competitive. Accepted students typically have thoroughly researched the technologies of their proposed project and have been in frequent contact with potential mentors. Simply copying and pasting an idea here will not work. On the other hand, creating a completely new idea without first consulting potential mentors is unlikely to work out.
If there is no specific contact given you can ask questions on SMC discussion mailing-list ( firstname.lastname@example.org ) or in the IRC channel ( #smc-project channel in Freenode.net server )
Adding a Proposal
When adding an idea to this section, please try to include the following data:
- if the application is not widely known, a description of what it does and where its code lives
- a brief explanation
- the expected results
- pre-requisites for working on your project
- if applicable, links to more information or discussions
- mailing list or IRC channel for your application/library/module
- your name and email address for contact (if you're willing to be a mentor)
If you are not a developer but have a good idea for a proposal, get in contact with relevant developers first.
We need two things here :
- A Jabber bot that supports the DICT protocol ( so we can run a bot that will serve word meanings ) . If this bot can learn/modify words, it will be better.
- A KDE 4 Plasmoid that does the same. There is already a KDE Plasmoid that supports dict.org. But it cannot be configured to support other dictionary servers right now. ( Note to SMC members : We need to find out the current status of this plasmoid )
Dhvani TTS : Porting to Windows and Sound system change
Dhvani is an Indic TTS engine. Dhvani uses ALSA as sound system. An additional SDL based sound system is required to make it work on other operating systems
Dhvani TTS : Speech dispatcher driver and Orca integration
Dhvani has generic driver for speech dispatcher and that is not efficient and cannot use many features of dhvani. Write a driver for speech-dispatcher and integrate it with Orca so that it works as Screenreader
Create a calendrical calculation library that will be usable from Python/C++ programs. Writing a C++/C library and writing a Python wrapper for it is enough. This can be used to display Indian calendars on Free Desktops